Sunday, July 1, 2012

RIP Saffy!!

 

June 14th, 2012

Today I lost one of my best friends and my baby girl.  I adopted Saffy about a 2 months after I moved to Australia.  She was about 5 years old then, and I was her 4th or 5th owner.  Unfortunately, families would adopt pets in Australia, but then when they would transfer back to the States, they chose NOT to spend the money to bring them to the States.  When I got her, she was very unhappy and untrustworthy... she basically ignored me for about 6 months... except to sit on my chest, VERY close to my face every night.  I kept telling her... she was stuck with me... and she would be going back to the States with me when I transferred.  Then I did the HORRIBLE thing and adopted a little 10-week-old puppy!! 


As you can see... within a few months... they were HORRIBLE ENEMIES!!
  
Saffy... posing!!
Saffy... posing her indifference!!



Saffy chlling on a soft quilt!!
Princess on her tower!!


Getting ready to hunt Gecko's in Australia

Chilling outside house in Australia
Arrival in America... relaxing on pillows
Earlier this week, Saffy stopped pooping and eating.   I thought she was constipated, so I bought her some soft food.   One of her FAVORITE things, and she still wouldn't eat.  She was drinking and peeing A LOT.  She was also drooling A TON.  It was really thick and sticking to her Bib.  By Wednesday, she was lethargic and not wanting me to pick her up AND I noticed that her drool seemed to have a Blood Tinge to it.   I had seen similar symptoms in one of my mom's cats a few years ago... so I thought I knew what it was... Kidney Failure.
 
I was heading out to Tacoma for my friend Devin's retirement on Thursday, so I called my favorite vet IVY at Valley Animal Hospital in Auburn WA.   I have been taking my cats and dogs to her since 1996... and she is the ONLY American Vet Saffy had ever seen.   So we drove from Missoula straight to her office (about 8 hours).   She confirmed that it was Kidney Failure...but she was surprised she has held on as long as she did.   I think she must have know, I didn't want a stranger to put her down... I wanted FAMILY and Ivy is FAMILY!!
 
It was hard... I cried A LOT, before and after she was put down... and I am NOT a crier!!  
 
REST IN PEACE MY BABY GIRL, MY BEST FOUR-LEGGED FRIEND!!  I WILL SEE YOU AGAIN!!

1 comment:

  1. So sorry about this....but i've seen it several times, as an adopting family prepares for the child the beloved pet has health issues.

    May your wait to your daughter be short. Blessings, pam

    ReplyDelete