Monday, September 3, 2012

Guangzhou Day 11 - Night Terrors

Monday Night, September 3, 2012

I have read about them... but I have to admit.... I was hoping she wouldn't have them.   I also have to admit.... I DID NOT think they woud start until we were back in the States.    But, my Mom and I got our first experience with Honest to Goodness Night Terrors last night.    In the middle of the night, she started SCREAMING.   Both my Mom and I woke up thinking she had hurt herself in her sleep, but when we turned on the light, we saw that her eyes were still closed.

It is the MOST heart renching thing to watch.   She was just Screaming and Screaming and her little body was Twisting and Jerking and Contorting.   Everytime I reached out to comfort her it would get worse, when she would quiet down and I would rub her back and let her know we were her.... it would trigger her to start all over again.    Finally, we just left one of the lights on and watched to make sure she wouldn't accidently hurt herself.   She screamed and quieted for about an Hour!!!

It was Absolutely HORRIBLE!!!

3 comments:

  1. Hugs to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carmel I am so sorry. I won't sugar coat this, phoebe had them on the flight home. She has at least one almost every night, so I do know how you feel., but I think it may be getting better (?) I am so sorry, poor dears, all 3 of you. I am praying, and I hope she is able to sleep well , it is so hard to know what to do when it happens. make sure to give her naps during the day, perhaps it will help her sleep later at night time....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our older DD had night terrors occasionally until she was about 5 or 6. Screaming, moaning, etc. Like a very bad dream, but she never woke up. I just did what you did -- rubbed her back, talked to her softly. I think they do grow out of them eventually, for the most part. Sometimes our DD will say something, fairly clearly, in her sleep -- just a word or two. It's clear that she's having a very intense dream. I hope you were able to get some sleep afterward! THANK YOU for keeping up the blog. It's really exciting for me to see where we'll be in a few months!

    ReplyDelete